UPDATE 5-17-19: We have 3 frames left in stock. Order now or risk waiting for our next batch!
After the success of our Cannonball Xclass frame we decided to set out on a new adventure in large racing quad design. While our flagship Cannonball is an amazing feature packed design it isn't for everyone due to the premium price tag. The goal with the Tasmanian is to provide a less expensive frame that can appeal to a larger range of pilots. Don't let the lower cost fool you. With this machine you get MORE than what you pay for. This new bird uses high quality components, is light weight, tough as nails, and can allow for some of the best performance ever seen in large quad racing. With the Tasmanian we are introducing a new class of quad called Beast Class. So what is "Beast Class"? It is simple. There is only one hard rule. 10” - 13” props. No minimum frame size. However, the point is to maximize performance and increase crash toughness so it is suggested to use the smallest frame possible to fit the allowed prop range.
Q and A:
Why did Catalyst Machineworks think up this crazy class size idea?
- During our adventure in designing/testing the Cannonball 800 xclass frame we began to long for a machine with the same power system running 13” props but an absolute minimum arm length. We wanted to explore a more ‘pilot centric’ approach to BIG quad racing.
What are the disadvantages of Beast class compared to Xclass?
- There is currently no race organization or governing body for pilots to race this class of drone, yet.
- You cannot race a Beast Class rig along side an Xclass rig since the size doesn’t meet Xclass minimum frame size requirement of 800mm.
- Xclass may be easier for spectators too see than Beast Class (the jury is out on this one...)
What are the advantages of Beast class compared to Xclass?
- Increased crash toughness. This size of drone is expensive compared to a 5” racing quad. There is no way around that. If you are into flying BIG race quads the frame should be as tough as possible to reduce expenses incurred from crash damage. As a racer you know you WILL crash. There is also no way around that. With Beast Class the loading on the arms and the frame is reduced due to less moment (force) compared to Xclass. Also, crash toughness is increased due to lower weight.
- Greatly improved agility compared to Xclass. Ever flown a 5” quad for a while and then tried a 6” quad for a few packs? Immediately you realize how much slower the slightly larger machine feels during track maneuvers. This is due to the laws of physics. The more weight you place farther out on the arms the slower a quad maneuvers, simple as that.
- Less expensive. If you choose a frame size tailored for smaller props (10” for instance) you can greatly reduce overall rig costs yet still have an absolute monster of a race quad. We will be designing a slightly smaller version of the Tasmanian tailored to 10" - 11" props in the near future. The Tasmanian is really best suited for 12" - 13" props.
Is Beast Class here to replace Xclass?
- Absolutely not. They are intended to coexist side by side. Beast Class is being offered as another option for pilots.
Specs and Features:
- High spectator visibility
- Industry leading big quad track performance ("Beast Class")
- Industry leading crash toughness ("Beast Class")
- Light weight
- Industry leading frame rigidity
- Bottom mount lipo system
- Easy electronics access hole
- Provisions for crossfire gear
- Optional arm airfoils (SOLD SEPARATE)
- Optional APD ESC mounts (SOLD SEPARATE)
- Optional canopy available (available at a later date)
- Weight - 575mm Beast Class Carbon Arms: 745g
- Weight - 575mm Beast Aluminum Arms: 890g
- Weight - 800mm X Class Carbon Arms: 840g
- Weight - 800mm X Class Aluminum Arms: 1060g
- Beast Class frame size: 575mm
- Xclass frame size: 800mm
- Prop size: 13 inch maximum (Beast Class)
- Prop size: 17 inch maximum (X Class)
- Carbon fiber type: Twill Weave 3K Matte
- Arm material: 25mm tall x 25mm wide x 1.5mm thick carbon fiber or black anodized aluminum
- Motor mount arm clamp: 7075 black anodized aluminum
- Top plate: 4mm
- Bottom plate: 4mm
- Standoff size: M3
- Frame type: Stretch X
- FPV camera angle range: 0 - 75 degrees
- Motor pad mounting holes: M4 on 30mm circle, M3 on 19mm circle, and M3 on 30mm circle
- Lipos supported: 6s - 12s
- Lipo mounting position: Below the frame
- Fastener material: High strength steel
- Fastener color: Silver
- Supported FPV Cameras: Any full sized "HS1177" style FPV camera W/ mounting bracket. Mini or micro cameras will fit but you must use an adapter.
- Supported FC: Standard 30.5mm x 30.5mm mounting
- Supported VTX Size: Everything
- Supported FPV Antenna: Everything
- Supported receiver: Everything
- Suggested ESC: Advanced Power Drives
- Supported PDB: Standard 30.5mm x 30.5mm mounting
- HD camera mount options: Session or Standard Gopro
- HD camera mount angle range: 20 - 50 degrees
Note: All shipping prices listed on our site are for shipping and handling costs associated with shipping your order.
Domestic Shipping within the USA
By default we ship via USPS (United States Postal Service) to anywhere in the United States. But, if you are interested in a faster option such as DHL email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can give you instructions on how to get expedited shipping. If you want expedited shipping be sure to email us prior to checking out with your order. We will arrange a shipping quote for you and then give you instructions on how to include this shipping option at checkout. Our USPS shipping option usually takes 2 to 4 days to reach anywhere in the USA. By default this shipping option will NOT require a signature. If you want us to specify signature required please let us know prior to placing your order.
USPS shipping includes $50 insurance by default. If you require more please let us know prior to placing your order. PLEASE NOTE: We will not be held liable in the event your package or package contents are lost, damaged, or stolen during shipping. When your package leaves our shop and is placed in the hands of the shipping service it is out of our hands. We have no control of what happens to your package after it leaves our doors. Shipping insurance it available to protect you in the event something happens to your package during delivery. We will not reimburse you for lost, damaged, or stolen items. That is what shipping insurance is for. If you would like to add shipping insurance to cover the value of your purchase email us at email@example.com for more info.
We can ship to almost anywhere in the world! Available international shipping options are using United States Postal Service (USPS) or DHL. USPS shipping will be per the flat rate option. This is $28 and can take 6-10 days to reach your country. From here your country postal service will deliver your package and can add additional delivery time. Usually USPS tracking ends once the package reaches your country. Our second shipping option is using DHL. This is considered a premium option and is very fast. Customer service with DHL is the best in the shipping business. Typically DHL only takes 2-3 days to delivery to most locations throughout the world. DHL international shipping always comes with tracking. While this is a more expensive option it is much better than USPS.
Shipment Handling Time
We require 1 full business day to ship. Additionally, some products come with a longer lead times to ship (see product descriptions). Orders received on Friday may be shipped out the following Monday morning.
You can return any item you buy from us for a refund. The item must be completely unopened, brand new, unused, and not damaged. We will wait to receive the product into our stock before issuing a refund. We will also make an assessment of the item, once received. If it is damaged in any way we will not issue a refund and send the item back to you. You have two weeks (from the date order placed) to return any item for a full refund. After the two week grace period we apply a 25% restocking fee.
If you believe an item you have purchased is defective our policy is a follows:
Email us first with your issue. We will instruct you as to whether the item needs to be returned to us. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Assuming we instruct you to return the item to us please ship it to the address below.
Once we receive the item our team will access it.
If we determine the item is indeed defective we will give you a full refund for the price of the item, or replace it.
If we determine there is nothing wrong with the item we will ship it back to you at your cost (you pay for the return shipping).
We DO NOT replace broken frame parts, electronics, or accessories you have crashes into the ground, a tree, a fence, a human, or anything else for that matter.