UPDATE 11-9-18: Frame pictures will go up near the end of next week. This frame is going up for pre-order for one month (ending 12-9-18). Estimated ship date is 6 weeks from now for those who order within the window. We will be handling this machine differently than our other offerings. If you want a frame you must pre-order to receive your shipment at time of release.
Frames ordered after the pre-order window:
All other orders will be taken on a "manufacture to order" basis. This means after you order there will be around a 2 week turnaround to ship, since we will manufacture the frame AFTER you order it. Please keep in mind we will always keep in stock spares parts so you aren't down for long if you break something. Again, we will NOT be keeping new complete frames in stock. They are manufacture to order until we determine how the market will receive Xclass racing.
Please be aware we will re-assess shipping fees before shipment and may send you an invoice to cover additional shipping costs. In other words, we don't know how much this frame will cost to ship just yet.
This frame is inspired by Gabby Chavez (Cannonball FPV). Gabby is our team pilot and also a professional Indy car racer. He is heavily involved in the design and testing of this exciting new machine, along with our other pilots. Gabby's experience testing and driving automotive machines existing at the highest level of technology and performance translates over to FPV quad design/testing. There is a science and unique skill required to understand how changes to machine design and setup are actually translating to performance differences on the track. At Catalyst Machineworks we are honored to have the rare opportunity to learn from someone competing at the highest levels in the automotive racing arena. In the same way Indy has become the flagship for automotive racing design, Xclass will eventually become the penacle of FPV quad racing technology.
So what is Xclass anyway?
Xclass is a brand new and exciting type of drone racing that is set to bring our sport into the "mainstream". For a sport to gain traction and big money sponsors it has to be entertaining to spectators. The issue with mini quad racing is the small size of the craft. Pilots who actually fly these mini quads cannot get enough. However, for a spectator the experience can be less than thrilling. Mini quads are too small to really be of interest to most people from a 3rd person perspective. For the layperson, unless you are in the goggles it just doesn't get the blood racing. Well Xclass will change all of that. The machines are MASSIVE in size (32 - 47 inches across). They are fast (100+ mph), powerful, loud, and give the sense of danger. All these things make for very exciting racing.
Why is the Cannonball 800 special?
- Lipo Crash Protection: Lipos used on Xclass racers are not cheap. Depending on setup, their price can range from $60 to $120 EACH. Current frames on the market mount the lipo on the top or bottom of the frame. This exposes it to crash damage. The Cannonball 800 locates the lipo inside the frame in a well protected location.
- Lipo Mass Consideration: Xclass lipos are very large and heavy. Capacities can range from 2000mah all the way up to 5000+ mah. Voltages ranging from 6s - 12s. The Cannonball's centralized lipo mounting solution pulls all that mass inwards reducing moment of inertia on pitch and roll axis. Lower inertia translates into better maneuverability.
- Lipo Mounting Solution: The lipo is first mounted on a tray using velcro and straps. This tray is then slid into the belly of the frame and locks in place. Removal of the tray for a lipo swap is 'quick release' requiring no fasteners and takes seconds to accomplish.
- Arm Brace Option: The Cannonball 800 can be purchased with optional arm braces (front and rear). This brace is the same carbon tube used on the arms. It spans the distance between the front and rear arms. The intent is to save your machine from extensive crash damage during impacts with the ground or objects.
- Electronics Mounting Solution: There are two considerations most Xclass frames ignore. Antivibration and ease of access to electronics. Our frame mounts all the non-drivetrain electronics (Flight Controller, FPV Camera, HD Camera, VTX, Receiver, etc) inside an isolated fuselage cage sitting on top of the frame. The entire cage is mounted to the frame using two TPU hinges. These TPU parts isolate the cage from the drivetrain and remove vibration from making it's way to the FC, HD camera, and FPV camera. Remove one screw and the entire fuselage cage opens up like a clam shell providing easy access to all electronic components.
- Frame Rigidity: Many current Xclass designs are nothing more than a modified miniquad center section with long arms attached. Xclass racers are HUGE in size with very long arms and powerful motors. The frame must be extremely rigid and structurally sound to keep the arms from flexing and vibrating in flight. Keep in mind some of these Xclass motors can weight 200+g EACH and produce up to 16LBS (7000+ grams) of thrust, EACH! If your frame is moving all over the place like a wet noodle how do you think it will handle on the track?
Specs and Features:
- Super tough arm brace version available
- Industry leading frame rigidity
- Industry leading lipo protection
- Quick change lipo system
- Centralized lipo mass design
- Easy electronics access
- Industry leading antivibration design
- Provisions for crossfire gear
- Optional canopy available (at a later date)
- Weight for braceless version: 1200g (pre-production estimate)
- Weight for braced version: 1600g (pre-production estimate)
- Frame size: 800mm
- Prop size: 17 inch maximum
- Carbon fiber: Twill Weave 3K Matte
- Arm material: 30mm tall x 20mm wide x 1.5mm thick octagonal matte carbon fiber tube
- Octagonal arm clamp: 7075 black anodized aluminuum
- Top plates: 3mm
- Bottom plate: 4mm
- Standoff size: M4
- Frame type: Super Stretch X
- FPV camera angle range: 0 - 75 degrees
- Motor pad mounting holes: M4 on 30mm circle, M3 on 19mm circle, and M3 on 30mm circle
- Lipos supported: 6s - 12s
- Lipo mounting position: Inside the frame
- Maximum combined lipo width: 91mm
- Maximum lipo height: 44mm (taller lipos can be accommodated easily by adding more spacers to the split top deck)
- Fastener material: High strength steel
- Fastener color: Silver and black
- Supported FPV Cameras: Any full sized "HS1177" style FPV camera W/ mounting bracket. Mini or micro cameras will fit but you must use an adapter.
- Supported FC: Standard 30.5mm x 30.5mm mounting or 20mm x 20mm micro FC
- Supported VTX Size: Everything
- Supported FPV Antenna: Everything
- Supported receiver: Everything
- Supported ESC size (ideal mounting location): 25mm wide x 53mm long x 5mm thick (max)
- Supported ESC size (on the arms): 30mm wide x any length x any thickness
- Supported PDB: Standard 30.5mm x 30.5mm mounting
- HD camera mount options: Session or Standard Gopro
- HD camera mount angle range: 20 - 50 degrees
Note: All shipping prices listed on our site are for shipping and handling costs associated with shipping your order.
Domestic Shipping within the USA
By default we ship via USPS (United States Postal Service) to anywhere in the United States. But, if you are interested in a faster option such as DHL email us at email@example.com and we can give you instructions on how to get expedited shipping. If you want expedited shipping be sure to email us prior to checking out with your order. We will arrange a shipping quote for you and then give you instructions on how to include this shipping option at checkout. Our USPS shipping option usually takes 2 to 4 days to reach anywhere in the USA. By default this shipping option will NOT require a signature. If you want us to specify signature required please let us know prior to placing your order.
USPS shipping includes $50 insurance by default. If you require more please let us know prior to placing your order. PLEASE NOTE: We will not be held liable in the event your package or package contents are lost, damaged, or stolen during shipping. When your package leaves our shop and is placed in the hands of the shipping service it is out of our hands. We have no control of what happens to your package after it leaves our doors. Shipping insurance it available to protect you in the event something happens to your package during delivery. We will not reimburse you for lost, damaged, or stolen items. That is what shipping insurance is for. If you would like to add shipping insurance to cover the value of your purchase email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
We can ship to almost anywhere in the world! Available international shipping options are using United States Postal Service (USPS) or DHL. USPS shipping will be per the flat rate option. This is $28 and can take 6-10 days to reach your country. From here your country postal service will deliver your package and can add additional delivery time. Usually USPS tracking ends once the package reaches your country. Our second shipping option is using DHL. This is considered a premium option and is very fast. Customer service with DHL is the best in the shipping business. Typically DHL only takes 2-3 days to delivery to most locations throughout the world. DHL international shipping always comes with tracking. While this is a more expensive option it is much better than USPS.
Shipment Handling Time
We require 1 full business day to ship. Additionally, some products come with a longer lead times to ship (see product descriptions). Orders received on Friday may be shipped out the following Monday morning.
You can return any item you buy from us for a refund. The item must be completely unopened, brand new, unused, and not damaged. We will wait to receive the product into our stock before issuing a refund. We will also make an assessment of the item, once received. If it is damaged in any way we will not issue a refund and send the item back to you. You have two weeks (from the date order placed) to return any item for a full refund. After the two week grace period we apply a 25% restocking fee.
If you believe an item you have purchased is defective our policy is a follows:
Email us first with your issue. We will instruct you as to whether the item needs to be returned to us. Our email is email@example.com. Assuming we instruct you to return the item to us please ship it to the address below.
Once we receive the item our team will access it.
If we determine the item is indeed defective we will give you a full refund for the price of the item, or replace it.
If we determine there is nothing wrong with the item we will ship it back to you at your cost (you pay for the return shipping).
We DO NOT replace broken frame parts, electronics, or accessories you have crashes into the ground, a tree, a fence, a human, or anything else for that matter.